Name of Observer: Jane Ficalora
Observed Meeting: Langley City Council
Date of Meeting: 2/6/2023
Members present: Harolynne Bobis, Rhonda Salerno, Thomas Gill, Craig Cyr, Gail Fleming
Members absent: none
Others present (staff, media, public): Mayor: Scott Chaplin, Planning Director: Meredith Penny, Director of Public Works: Randi Perry, Chief of Police: Tavier Wasser, Finance Director: Wanda Grone,
Odgen Murphy Wallace lawyers, Langley Historic Preservation Chair, Langley Library Manager, Public Works Advisory Commission Chair, WSU Extension Island County Interim Director, Finance & Personnel Legislative Commission Chair, Economic Development Council Representatives, Deputy Director of Sno-Isle Libraries
Members of public made comments on grants for creek in city of Langley and Whidbey Camano Land Trust grant for forest of Faucet Farm
There were also members of public on zoom - they are not shown unless they make a
Summarize the main issues discussed at the meeting:
• Presentation from Historic Preservation Commission on vacancy for the 7-member
commission, the goals of the commission and that May is historic preservation month and the outreach projects that month.
• Projects being done by Public Works Advisory Commission were presented by Chair Dominique Emerson
• 2023 EPA Solid Waste Infrastructure Recycling Grant plans presented by WSU Extension Island County director.
• Ordinance for Structure of City Administrator/Clerk Position outlined by Finance & Personnel Legislative Commission Chair Chris Carlson and passed by a 4 in favor vote of council members.
• Resolution regarding Whidbey Camano Land Trust grant presented, and owners of the Faucet Farm property were there to say they were in favor of the grant. The resolution passed unanimously.
• Introduction to Langley's potential participation in Regional Comprehensive Economic Developemnt Strategy Project was discussed. Presentation was made by Executive Director Economic Development Council Sharon Sappington and Jennifer Noveck, Ph. D. Allocation of funds passed unanimously.
• Council reviewed and voted to approve Financial Policy Development-credit card policy, procedures and credit card use agreement presented by Finance Director Wanda Grone.
• Library Building improvements process was updated by Director of Public works and the Deputy Director of Sno-Isle Libraries was present in person to thank the council with help and direction and to say the process is going well.
Do you recommend local League action or study on any of these issues? NO
Was the meeting conducted in an open, business-like, and civil manner? Yes – All in attendance were polite and the motions were discussed and voted on in an orderly manner.
Consider the following questions and respond if relevant.
FEATURE EVALUATED COMMENTS
Was the agenda made available prior to and at the meeting? Yes - https://cms4files1.revize.com/langleywashington/Updated%202023%2002%2006%20Council%20Packet.pdf
Did members adhere to the provided agenda? Yes
Were any non-agenda items discussed? Yes - at closing the mayor asked members for ideas on how
the meeting ran.
Was there adequate discussion of issues? Yes
Were any “Executive Sessions” called? No
Was there adequate opportunity for public input? Yes
Was background material available to the public? Yes – see council packet linked above.
Did any member recuse themselves during the meeting? No For what reason? n/a
List any other concerns or observations:
Observer E-mail: email@example.com Date submitted: 2/9/23
Leave a Reply.